LINks Involvement in the SHA's Hospital Reviews (Learning Disabilities)
What's it all about?
The South West Strategic Health Authority (SHA) is keen to ensure that all south-west ‘acute trusts’ (hospitals) are treating their patients with Learning Disabilities with dignity and respect. In order to review how hospitals are meeting their obligations, the SHA is coordinating ‘Peer Review Teams’ to go into each hospital and review the hospital. These Review Teams include carers and voluntary groups and NHS staff. There is also a place on each Review Team for a LINk member to take part in the Review.
Each LINk has been asked to offer a place on the Review Team to members of their Enter & View Teams or to other LINk participants.
The Peer Review Team will visit the hospital on the day of the review and look into various areas of the hospital's practice with regards to patients with Learning Difficulties. It will look at each area under "traffic light" criteria, where a hospital meeting the best practice will be green, next step 'down' will be amber, etc.
When are the reviews?
The dates for the hospital reviews are as follows:
- Truro: 7 September 2010
- Plymouth: 8 September 2010
- Exeter: 14 September 2010
- Barnstaple: 15 September 2010
- Torbay: 16 September 2010
- Yeovil: 21 September 2010
- Taunton: 23 September 2010
- Salisbury: 29 September 2010
- Swindon: 30 September 2010
- Dorchester: 05 October 2010
- Bournemouth: 06 October 2010
- Poole: 07 October 2010
- Bristol (UHB): 12 October 2010
- Bristol(North): 13 October 2010
- Gloucestershire: 14 October 2010
- Weston S-Mare: 19 October 2010
- Bath (RUH): 20 October 2010
- Bath (HRD): 21 October 2010
My LINk has confirmed thatI am going to be a LINk Representative on the Review Team. What do I do next?
Before the visit: You will need to read through some (short) papers about the reviews, and if possible attend a Briefing Workshop (see below for dates).
The evening before: attend an evening meeting at a hotel near the hospital the night before the review.
On the day of the review: Attend the hospital on the day of the review, along with the team.
All expenses will be paid and overnight accommodation can be arranged if needed.
Briefing Workshops for LINk representatives
The Strategic Health Authority are holding briefing workshops for the LINk Review Team participants. They are as follows:
- Tuesday 31st August: 10 am -12 noon, Holiday Inn Express, Exeter
- Thursday 2nd September: 10 am -12 noon, GOSW, 2 Rivergate, Temple Quay, Bristol
- Friday 3rd September: 3 - 5 pm, SHA Offices, South West House, Blackbrook Park Avenue
If you are able to make any of these workshops please email Chris Wakefield at the Bournemouth LINk who will forward your booking on to the Strategic Health Authority: firstname.lastname@example.org
To find out more about the reviews, there is a website at www.swacutehospitalreview4ld.org.uk